In This Episode
NPR’s Sam Sanders joins Jon Favreau and Tommy Vietor to talk about the political fallout and lessons (not) learned from Afghanistan, Democratic anxiety over the midterms, and the increasing radicalism of the Republican base. Then, Jon quizzes Tommy and Sam on their knowledge of California’s wild list of gubernatorial candidates in a game called “Do You Recall?”
- NYT: Amid Desperation at Kabul Airport, Evacuation Picks Up Pace
- Politico: Austin contradicts Biden, says Americans have been ‘beaten’ by the Taliban
- NYT: The War in Afghanistan: How It Started and How It Is Ending
- WSJ: ‘The Taliban Are Here’: The Final Days Before Kabul’s Collapse
- NYT: Miscue After Miscue, U.S. Exit Plan Unravels
- Politico: British military: 7 Afghans killed in chaos at Kabul airport
- Independent: ‘I’m very scared, I have no one’: Children orphaned as parents crushed to death in Kabul airport chaos
- NYT: A baby passed over a wall in Kabul is reunited with his family, the military says.
- NYT: Desperation as Afghans Seek to Flee a Country Retaken by the Taliban
- WSJ: U.S. Considers Ordering Commercial Airlines to Help in Afghan Evacuation
- Migration Policy: U.S. Government Rush to Evacuate Afghan Allies and Allocate Sufficient Special Visas Comes at Eleventh Hour
- ABC: Taliban fighters hunting blacklist of Afghan officials, US-trained forces: Private intel report
- Reuters: Cowering in the bathroom: Some Afghans dread the Taliban knock at the door
- WSJ: Afghan Ex-President Hamid Karzai Angles for National Role After Taliban Takeover
- AP: Europe fears Afghan refugee crisis after Taliban takeover
- Reuters: Britain calls virtual G7 meeting for Tuesday on Afghanistan crisis
- Politico: Opinion: My Family Fled Cambodia as the Americans Evacuated. Here’s What I Hope for Afghan Refugees.
- WSJ: U.S. Banks and Money-Transfer Firms Tread Carefully in Taliban-Controlled Afghanistan
- NYT: As Biden Faces a Political Crisis, His Party Looks On in Alarm
- Politico: Subject Investigation intentions mount on Capitol Hill as Afghanistan debacle continues
- NBC: Biden’s job ratings decline amid Covid surge, Afghanistan withdrawal in NBC News poll
- CBS: Biden job approval falls; handling of troop removal is negative but support for withdrawal remains — CBS News poll
- Politico: Polls show Biden’s approval rating sliding to new lows
- LA Times: Biden focuses on domestic agenda, even as hot spots flare up elsewhere
- WaPo: ‘It’s not our fight’ vs. ‘We owe them’: Americans debate what’s right in Afghanistan
- Tony Blair: Why We Must Not Abandon the People of Afghanistan – For Their Sakes and Ours
- Politico: ‘The Temperature in Saigon Is 105 and Rising’
- NYT: In Iowa, Gaetz and Greene Pick Up Where Trump Left Off
- DES MOINES REGISTER: At Iowa rally, Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene, Matt Gaetz advocate for Trump’s ‘America First’ values
- WAPO: As covid-19 surges in Mississippi, some people are ingesting an unproven livestock dewormer
- Buzzfeed: Infowars Host Owen Shroyer Has Been Charged In The Jan. 6 Riots
- NBC: GOP Rep. Mo Brooks slammed by fellow lawmakers for statement about D.C. bomb threat suspect
- NBC: Suspect in Washington, D.C., bomb threat surrenders after hourslong standoff
- NBC: Trump booed at Alabama rally after telling supporters to get vaccinated
- THE INDEPENDENT: Trump mixes election grievance while railing against Biden’s Afghanistan policy in Alabama
- INSIDER: 615 people have been charged in the Capitol insurrection so far. This searchable table shows them all.
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the podcast.