In This Episode
Governor Gavin Newsom keeps his job as the Republican recall goes down in flames, Congresswoman Katie Porter joins to talk about the latest negotiations over Joe Biden’s economic plan, and two new books detail just how close Donald Trump came to pulling off a coup.
- LA Times: How Newsom defeated the recall: Early leads in suburbs, overwhelming margins in big cities
- The Hill: Seven takeaways from California’s recall election
- NYT: With polls still open in California, millions of votes have been received so far.
- CAL MATTERS: Polling error: How one survey changed the Newsom recall campaign
- The Atlantic: The California Recall’s Warning for Democracy
- NBC News: California recall pits Newsom against Trump and GOP’s election lies
- WaPo: Newsom’s winning recall strategy offers a playbook for Democrats in 2022
- CNN: Biden calls Newsom recall results ‘a resounding win’ for ‘strong vaccine requirements’
- NYT: How California’s Recall Laws Could Change
Katie Porter Interview
- Politico: Biden to meet with Manchin, Sinema on party-line megabill
- Politico: Dems’ fiscal endgame could require punting on debt limit
- WaPo: Democrats target cigarettes and vaping as potential sources to pay for $3.5 trillion economic package
- Politico: Democrats grapple with faltering filibuster push
- NYT: Democrats propose a compromise bill on voting rights.
- The Atlantic: A Hinge Point for Voting Rights
- WaPo: Revised Democratic voting bill drops controversial provisions, tweaks others as pressure for action mounts
- Playbook: POLICY-PALOOZA
- Politico: 40-plus tax increases: A rundown of House Dems’ $2 trillion tax plan
- WaPo: Three Democrats say they’ll oppose party’s drug-price plan, creating roadblock for larger package
- Playbook: Will Manchin stymie Dems’ massive climate plan?
- Data for Progress: A PERMANENT CHILD TAX CREDIT ISN’T JUST WHAT OUR ECONOMY NEEDS — IT’S WHAT VOTERS WANT.
- HuffPost: Joe Manchin Doubles Down On Wanting Parents To Work For Child Tax Credit
- Punchbowl: McConnell on debt limit: “Do you guys think I’m bluffing?”
- RollingStone: Biden Tells Top Democrats He’s Preparing Lobbying Blitz on Filibuster Reform, Voting Rights
Trump and Milley
- Insider: Republicans call Gen. Mark Milley ‘traitor,’ and say he should be fired or court-martialed for a report that he secretly intervened to avoid war with China
- Playbook: POLITICO Playbook: Scoop: Grisham texts cast doubt on book claim
- NPR: ‘Peril’ Details Secret Actions Carried Out During The Last Days Of Trump’s Presidency
- NYT: Fears That Trump Might Launch a Strike Prompted General to Reassure China, Book Says
- Forbes: Gen. Milley Reportedly Took Steps To Limit Trump’s Nuclear Strike Powers After Jan. 6
- CNN: Biden overruled Blinken and Austin’s attempts to extend US presence in Afghanistan, new Woodward/Costa book says
- CNBC: Pelosi told top general Trump should have been ‘arrested on the spot’ for inciting Capitol insurrection, new book says
- The Hill: Woodward book: Quayle advised Pence he had ‘no flexibility’ in overturning election
- Politico: POLITICO Playbook: Grisham dishes on Melania
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the podcast.