In the aftermath of the Parkland shooting, a new student movement is born, the Republican/NRA conspiracy nuts go crazy, and Republican politicians start feeling the pressure. Then Jon and Tommy talk to comedian Billy Eichner about Glam Up the Midterms, his new effort to register young voters.
Billy Eichner, Funny Or Die, and your favorite hometown heroes are joining forces for one singular purpose: getting you to turn up and vote in the midterm elections. Let’s face it. Young people have never been excited about midterm elections. Only 12% of youth voters turned out in 2014. That’s embarrassing, America. So, Billy and his friends are going to do what they do best. They are going to make the midterm elections an event that you cannot miss. They will Glam Up The Midterms through in-district events, videos, stunts, rallies, and get-out-the-vote actions all over the country. Join the campaign at GlamUpTheMidterms.com to register to vote and sign-up to receive action alerts.
Students Taking Action after Parkland:
- Washington Post: Why the Parkland Kids Might be Different
- TIME: After Parkland, Students Across the U.S. Are Holding Protest Walkouts Over Gun Violence
- CNN: Students at town hall to Washington, NRA: Guns are the problem, do something
- New York Times: Florida Students Began With Optimism. Then They Spoke to Lawmakers.
- CNN: Parkland students turned away from meeting Florida lawmakers
- Sun-Sentinel: Stoneman Douglas students demand change as thousands rally at Capitol
- New York Times: Florida Lawmakers Back Raising Age Limits on Assault Rifles
- Politico: Shooting roils gun politics in NRA-friendly Florida
- Miami Herald: Thousands asking for gun-control legislation protest in Tallahassee
- Politico:Pro-gun Florida Legislature nears deal on sweeping gun reform bill
- NPR: Florida House Declines Debate On Assault Rifles, Calls Porn A ‘Health Risk’
- USA Today: The Parkland survivors started a movement when they took on gun violence. Here’s how it happened.
- New York Times: In Florida, an AR-15 is easier to buy than a handgun
Trump’s Gun Directives:
- New York Times:Trump Moves to Regulate ‘Bump Stock’ Devices
- Washington Post: Jury still out on Trump’s seriousness about banning bump stocks, improving background checks after Florida massacre
- Vox: Trump’s compromises on guns, explained
- Axios: Trump wants bump stocks banned “very soon”
- Los Angeles Times: Trump ‘supportive’ of tougher gun law, but his record suggests that may not mean much
- CNN: Trump proposes bonuses for teachers who get gun training
- Vox: Trump tweets support for “strengthening background checks” after Florida shooting
- NPR: Trump Supports Improving Background Checks, But Will That Mean Action?
- Axios: 1 big thing: Trump open to raising age to buy gun
Trump Meeting with Families:
- New York Times: Parents and Students Plead With Trump: ‘How Many Children Have to Get Shot?’
- New York Post: Read Trump’s notes for meeting with school shooting survivors
- Roll Call: Shooting Survivors, Victims’ Families Tell Trump Emotional Stories
Possible Action in Congress:
- The Hill: Murphy: Trump’s support for background check bill shows gun politics ‘shifting rapidly’
- Slate: Congress Focuses on Leftover Gun Bill After Florida Shooting
- CNN: Here’s what the Senate gun bill says
- CNN: Flake backs bill to raise age to buy AR-15 style weapons
- Politico: Trump on course for clash with House GOP over gun control
- CNN: See what your members of Congress have done about gun control
Concealed Carry Reciprocity:
- CBS: The showdown over the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
- NY Mag: How Republicans Have Been Making Gun Laws Worse Under Trump
Right-wing Conspiracy Theory Responses:
- New York Times: Right-wing media uses shooting as conspiracy fodder
- Newsweek: Right-wing conspiracy theorists blame anti-gun rallies and teen activism on George Soros
- Time: ‘Abhorrent’ Hoax Facebook Posts Are Claiming the Florida School Shooting Survivors Are ‘Crisis Actors’
- Think Progress: Parkland shooting survivors respond to smear campaign calling them actors
- Slate: Theory That Parkland Survivors Are Part of Leftist Conspiracy Creeps Closer to Inevitable Trump Endorsement
- Washington Post: The right-wing sliming of Douglas High students can’t be ignored. It’s too disgusting for that.
- Buzzfeed: The Pro-Trump Media Has Met Its Match In The Parkland Students
Why are we still talking about it?
- Vox: Teenagers are doing the impossible: keeping America’s attention on guns
- CNN: Congress wonders if this time will be different for gun control
- Miami Herald: Douglas High students motivating legislators to act, leading lawmaker says
Where does this go from here?
- Vox: I’ve covered gun violence for years. The solutions aren’t a big mystery.
- Real Clear Politics: Democrats Push Gun Control as Campaign Issue
- Roll Call: Pelosi: ‘I Would Rather Pass Gun Safety Legislation Than Win the Election’
- Palm Beach Post: Gun control could become key issue in Florida in November
Billy Eichner’s “Glam Up the Midterms” Initiative
- The Hollywood Reporter: Billy Eichner Launches Star-Studded Campaign to Get Millennials to Vote in Midterm Elections
Pod Save America is a no-bullshit conversation about politics hosted by Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, Dan Pfeiffer and Tommy Vietor that breaks down the week’s news and helps people figure out what matters and how to help. New episodes out every MONDAY and THURSDAY. Check out more episodes!