In This Episode
Last week, President Trump tweeted about a segment on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show that claimed white farmers in South Africa are being murdered and that the government is taking away their land. The Economist’s Africa bureau chief John McDermott joins to explain what the hell he’s talking about and what he got wrong.
- CNN: South Africa’s top diplomat slams Trump tweet as ‘right-wing ideology’
- The Economist: Land reform in South Africa has been slow and inept
- Time: President Trump Tweeted About the ‘Large Scale Killing’ of White South African Farmers. That Doesn’t Fit With the Facts
- CNN: What’s behind Trump’s concern for white farmers in South Africa?
- The Guardian: Donald Trump’s land seizures tweet sparks anger in South Africa
- CNN: South Africa hits back at ‘unfortunate’ Trump tweet on land reform
- New York Magazine: Trump Echoes Neo-Nazi Propaganda About South Africa (That He Heard on Fox News)
- Vox: Trump’s tweet echoing white nationalist propaganda about South African farmers, explained
- Washington Post: Trump tweets the word ‘Africa’ for first time as president — in defense of whites in South Africa
- Reuters: Seizing land would send South Africa down the wrong path: U.S.