In This Episode
President Biden and Vice President Harris call out anti-Asian hate while Republicans make excuses, the GOP says that voter suppression is now their top priority, and new polling shows how Democrats can fight back. Then Jon, Jon, and Tommy each pick an under the radar headline to talk about.
The Atlanta Shooting and Fighting Anti-Asian Racism
- WaPo: Biden and Harris visit Atlanta after shooting rampage, vowing to stand against racism and xenophobia
- NYT: Confronting Violence Against Asians, Biden Says That ‘We Cannot Be Complicit’
- Politico: Biden and Harris condemn anti-Asian violence as investigation into Atlanta shootings continues
- CNN: Atlanta spa attacks shine a light on anti-Asian hate crimes around the world
- LA Times: ‘I’m scared I won’t be believed’: Asians fight to have racist hate documented
- NYT: How Racism and Sexism Intertwine to Torment Asian-American Women
- CNN: Why hate crime data can’t capture the true scope of anti-Asian violence
- NBC News: There were 3,800 anti-Asian racist incidents, mostly against women, in past year
- Vox: “It’s un-American. And it must stop”: Biden denounces anti-Asian racism
- WaPo: Attacks on Asian Americans during pandemic renew criticism that U.S. undercounts hate crimes
- AP: Spa shootings could be first test of Georgia hate crimes law
- Reuters: Killings of Asian women renew push for tougher U.S. hate crime laws \
- LA Times: Atlanta-area spa shootings place spotlight on hate crime laws
- LA Times: Biden supports the COVID-19 hate crime bill: What would it do?
- WSJ: Atlanta Spa Shootings Pose Test for Hate-Crime Laws
- WaPo: Georgia shootings could test state’s new hate-crimes law as debate rages over suspect’s motive
- NYT: Asian-Americans Are Being Attacked. Why Are Hate Crime Charges So Rare?
- NPR: How Asian American Leaders Say The Biden Administration Can Address Hate
- Axios: Over 183 organizations join AAPI groups’ call for $300M to address anti-Asian violence
- WaPo Analysis: A reckoning on anti-Asian rhetoric? Not for these Republicans
- CNN: Asian American lawmakers implore Republicans to tone down rhetoric in wake of attacks
- NYT: How Anti-Asian Activity Online Set the Stage for Real-World Violence
- AJC: Last year, GOP assailed bill condemning violence against Asians
- ABC News: Trump’s ‘Chinese Virus’ tweet helped lead to rise in racist anti-Asian Twitter content: Study
- WaPo: Democrats link Atlanta massacre to anti-Asian rhetoric during pandemic
- WaPo Opinion: Bipartisan political rhetoric about Asia leads to anti-Asian violence here
Republicans Against Voting
- NYT: In Restricting Early Voting, the Right Sees a New ‘Center of Gravity’
- AP: ‘An all-hands moment’: GOP rallies behind voting limits
- Politico: After Trump’s loss and false fraud claims, GOP eyes voter restrictions across nation
- WaPo (Plum Line): Opinion: Why the GOP’s awful new voter suppression effort is so alarming
- Politico: Trump’s baseless election claims march GOP into ‘policy wasteland’
- NPR: Why Republicans Are Moving To Fix Elections That Weren’t Broken
- NYT: In Statehouses, Stolen-Election Myth Fuels a G.O.P. Drive to Rewrite Rules
- Bloomberg: Biden Urged to Defend Voting Rights as GOP Pursues New Limits
- ABC News: GOP warns HR 1 could be ‘absolutely devastating for Republicans’
- WaPo Editorial Board: Opinion: Republicans’ rhetoric on H.R. 1 is apocalyptic. Are they that afraid of democracy?
- WaPo: ‘It’s not a local issue anymore’: D.C. statehood moves from political fringe to the center of the national Democratic agenda
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the podcast.