In This Episode
Joe Biden’s ambitious agenda confronts the reality of a broken Congress, the Associated Press sets off a controversy over objectivity in journalism after firing a reporter for her tweets, and New York political reporter Jeff Coltin talks to Jon Lovett about the upcoming New York City mayoral race.
BIDEN’S BIG TICKET AGENDA ITEMS
- NYT: As Talks Bog Down, Hopes for Bipartisan Deals on Biden’s Priorities Dim
- WaPo: Biden’s big agenda is imperiled as his priorities stall in Congress and a debt fight looms
- CNN: Key progressive initiatives stall in Congress as some on the left urge Biden to go bold, and go alone
- CNN: White House drops price tag of infrastructure proposal in counteroffer to GOP lawmakers but wide divide remains
- WSJ: Democrats Lower Their Sights on Healthcare Changes
- WSJ: Biden Administration Extends Enrollment Period for Affordable Care Act
- Politico: Biden will host the Floyd family but will miss his police reform deadline
- WaPo: Policing deal remains out of reach on Capitol Hill as the anniversary of George Floyd’s death approaches
- CNN: Democrats searching for a path forward on stalled voting rights bill
- Vox: Joe Manchin’s surprisingly bold proposal to fix America’s voting rights problem
- NYT: Schumer Readies Plan B to Push Immigration Changes Unilaterally
- CNBC: Democrats introduce sweeping immigration bill with 8-year pathway to citizenship
- CNN: Hope fades for a bipartisan deal on gun background checks, key Democratic negotiator says
- NPR: Here’s What The New Hate Crimes Law Aims To Do As Attacks On Asian Americans Rise
THE ETHICS OF JOURNALISM
- BUZZFEED: AP Fires Staffer Emily Wilder
- NY Mag: Who Is the Media Really For?
- THE GUARDIAN: Outcry After AP Journalist Fired
- WaPo: Washington Post reverses prohibition on reporter from writing about sexual assault
- Guardian: Why did the Washington Post ban a sexual assault survivor from reporting on rape?
- BIZ INSIDER: Chris Cuomo Apologizes to his CNN colleagues on-air over news he coached his brother, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, through sexual-harassment allegations
- THE GUARDIAN: What is at stake with Nikole Hannah-Jones being denied tenure
- Vanity Fair: OUSTED AP JOURNALIST SAYS SHE WAS “HUNG OUT TO DRY” BY THE NEWS AGENCY
- WaPo Op-Ed: Opinion: Hey conservatives, this is why liberals don’t believe you care about free speech
- Washington Monthly: The Left Must Shift From Media Criticism to Social Media Criticism
- NPR: Who Is The Media For? Journalist Sarah Jones On Ethics In The Industry
- New Republic: Will Israel’s Bombing of the AP Expose the Fake Neutrality of the U.S. Media’s Coverage?
- The Wrap: Brian Stelter Suggests CNN’s Chris Cuomo Should Take Leave of Absence
- Poynter: Chris Cuomo’s advice to Gov. Andrew Cuomo crosses a journalistic line – In a major conflict of interest, the CNN news anchor advised his brother and his staff on how to respond to sexual harassment allegations.
- The Atlantic: Why Conservatives Want to Cancel the 1619 Project Objections to the appointment of Nikole Hannah-Jones to an academic chair are the latest instance of conservatives using the state to suppress ideas they consider dangerous.
- The Atlantic: A Culture of Free Speech Protects Everyone
- Vanity Fair: “AN EMBARRASSMENT”: DID CONSERVATIVES BULLY UNC INTO STRIPPING NIKOLE HANNAH-JONES’S TENURE?
- CNN: Rick Santorum departs CNN after criticism of Native American comments
- AP: CNN cuts ties with Rick Santorum over disparaging comments
NEW YORK MAYORAL RACE
- NYT: These 8 Democrats Want to Be Mayor of New York City. We Have Questions.
- NYT: Mapping New York City’s Mayoral Campaign Money
- Politico: NYC Mayor Money Tracker
- NYT: Who Wants to Be Mayor of New York City?
- Politico: MAGA world is in love with the New York mayor’s race
- The New Yorker: Policing Politics Takes Over the New York City Mayoral Race
- Vanity Fair: “There’s a real divide”: shifting politics over Israel is reverberating in the New York mayor’s race
- The Rolling Stone: The New York City Mayoral Race Has Been Weird. Here’s What You Need to Know
- NYT: Andrew Yang, Looking for Endorsement, Offends Gay Democratic Club
- Teen Vogue: Andrew Yang Is Leading the New York City Mayor’s Race, But His Policies Are Off Base
- NYT: N.Y.C. Mayoral Candidates Agree on This: No More Virtual Debates
- NYT: Candidates Clash Over Future of New York in First Mayoral Debate
- Intelligencer: The New York Mayoral Race Has Become a Zoom Hell
- NYT: How Does Ranked-Choice Voting Work in New York?
- City&State: What if the next mayor finished second?
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the podcast.