In This Episode
The Border Patrol fires tear gas at unarmed migrants, Trump threatens to shut down the government over the wall, Mike Espy looks to pull an upset in Mississippi, and Democrats ponder their rural strategy. Then Vox’s Dave Roberts talks to Jon L. about the Trump Administration’s climate report, and the push for a Green New Deal.
The caravan reaches the border
- New York Times: Migrants Rush U.S. Border in Tijuana, but Fall Back in Face of Tear Gas
- Los Angeles Times: San Ysidro border crossing closed, U.S. fires tear gas as migrants rush toward border
- Washington Post: U.S. closes major crossing as caravan migrants mass at border in Mexico
- CNN: US closes major San Diego port of entry after migrants rush border
- San Diego Union-Tribune: Pedestrian crossings reopened at U.S.-Mexico border after four-hour closure
- Wall Street Journal: Migrants Rushing U.S. Border Dispersed By Tear Gas
- New York Times: Mexico Mulls Allowing Migrants to Stay There Pending U.S. Asylum Bids
- Washington Post: Deal with Mexico paves way for asylum overhaul at U.S. border
- Vox: Trump’s reportedly cutting a deal to force asylum seekers to wait in Mexico
- NPR: A Not-Guilty Verdict Absolves Border Patrol Of Cross-Border Killing
Trump’s feud with John Roberts
- Associated Press: Roberts, Trump spar in extraordinary scrap over judges
- New York Times: Chief Justice Defends Judicial Independence After Trump Attacks ‘Obama Judge’
- Politico: Trump hits back at Chief Justice Roberts, escalating an extraordinary exchange
- New Yorker: Why Did Chief Justice John Roberts Decide to Speak Out Against Trump?
- Slate: After Years of Taking Up Too Much Space, Trump Is Finally Small
Shutdown over the wall?
- CNBC: Trump warns of government shutdown next month over border security
- CBS: On Thanksgiving, Trump threatens to shut down the border
- ABC News: Dem senator expresses willingness to negotiate funding for border wall
- The Atlantic: Don’t bet on comprehensive immigration reform in the new Congress
- The Guardian: Hillary Clinton: Europe must curb immigration to stop rightwing populists
- New York Times: Clinton Wants Europe to Get Tough on Migration. It Already Has.
- New York Times: Hillary Clinton Says Europe Must ‘Get a Handle’ on Migration to Thwart Populism
- CBS: The chaos behind Donald Trump’s policy of family separation at the border
- The Hill: Trump slams ’60 Minutes’ over report on family separations
- New York Times: The Price Tag of Migrant Family Separation: $80 Million and Rising
Democrats and rural voters / The next election
- New York Times: Across South, Democrats Who Speak Boldly Risk Alienating Rural White Voters
- The Atlantic: The Democrats’ White-People Problem
- CNN: Why the Mississippi vote is a key test for America
- The Guardian: Can Democrats ever win back white, rural America?
- Washington Post: The Trailer: Mississippi Democrats have two campaign operations and an arithmetic problem
- Reuters: Democrats see rural gains bolstering fight for White House in 2020
- Washington Monthly: Rural Voters Delivered Democrats Key Victories in 2018
Runoff in Mississippi
- Vox: The Mississippi Senate runoff, Dems’ last chance for one more 2018 upset, explained
- Associated Press: Trump tweets support of Mississippi senator ahead of runoff
- CNN: Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith pushed resolution praising Confederate soldier’s effort to ‘defend his homeland’
- NBC News: ‘Segregation academy’ attended by Cindy Hyde-Smith a common remnant of Mississippi’s troubled history
- Washington Post: MLB asks Cindy Hyde-Smith to return $5,000 donation
- New York Times: M.L.B. Asks Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith to Return $5,000 Donation
- Washington Post: Walmart wants campaign donation back from Sen. Hyde-Smith after her support of public hangings
- CNBC: Democrat Mike Espy aims to upset GOP Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith in a Mississippi Senate race roiled by racial controversy and Trump’s trade war
- Vanity Fair: IS CINDY HYDE-SMITH TOO RACIST FOR MISSISSIPPI?
- Vox: What made solar panels so cheap? Thank government policy.
- Vox: Climate change policy can be overwhelming. Here’s a guide to the ideas that work.
- Vox: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is already pressuring Nancy Pelosi on climate change
- Vox: The midterms crushed hopes of climate bipartisanship. Democrats can still move forward.
- Vox: The fossil fuel industry rallied to crush several climate and clean energy initiatives