In This Episode
A grand jury is convened to decide Donald Trump’s fate as he mulls another run for president, Marjorie Taylor Greene compares vaccine and mask requirements to the Holocaust, Republican legislatures in swing states are laying the groundwork to overturn the results of the next election they lose. Then, The Atlantic’s Clint Smith talks to Tommy Vietor about his new book, How the Word is Passed.
TRUMP GRAND JURY
- WaPo: Prosecutor in Trump criminal probe convenes grand jury to hear evidence, weigh potential charges
- CNN: Ex-prosecutor on reported Trump grand jury: I want to caution your viewers
- Slate: How Close Are We to Criminal Charges for Donald Trump?
- The Hill: Trump lashes out after grand jury seated for New York criminal probe
- JustSecurity: Litigation Tracker: Pending Criminal and Civil Cases Against Donald Trump
- Lawfare: Rational Security: The Isn’t it Grand Jury Edition
- Playbook Playbook: ‘Cloud of nerves’ hovers over Trump land after grand jury report
- CBS News: New grand jury seated to probe Trump business dealings, reports say
- Business Insider: Here’s how Trump could theoretically run for president and govern the US from prison, according to 9 legal scholars
- Business Insider: ‘He wants to be in the fight’: Donald Trump told his former White House doctor that he wants to run in 2024
- WaPo Op-Ed: Donald Trump’s new reality
MARJORIE TAYLOR GREENE
- CNN: Even the Holocaust isn’t out-of-bounds in Marjorie Taylor Greene’s age of outrage
- WaPo Opinion: Marjorie Taylor Greene is the GOP’s Frankenstein creation
- WaPo: The GOP has no clue what to do about Marjorie Taylor Greene
- NYT: Greene’s Holocaust Comparisons Cause New Headaches for G.O.P.
- Slate: Rep. Greene Roundly Criticized for Comparing House Mask Policy to Holocaust
- McCarthy Statement: Leader McCarthy Condemns Comparisons to the Holocaust
- ProPublica: Marjorie Taylor Greene Appeared in a Super PAC Ad Asking for Money. That Might Break the Rules.
- MSNBC: Thursday’s Campaign Round-Up
- FiveThirtyEight: How Marjorie Taylor Greene Won, And Why Someone Like Her Can Win Again
- The Atlantic: There’s Nothing Fun or Funny About Marjorie Taylor Greene
- Intelligencer: Why Giving Marjorie Taylor Greene the Steve King Treatment Might Not Work
- NYT: Steve King Removed From Committee Assignments Over White Supremacy Remark
- CBS: McCarthy condemns Marjorie Taylor Greene for comparing vaccine requirements to Holocaust
- The Hill: House Democrats’ campaign arm seizes on latest Greene controversy
- CNN: House Republican leaders condemn Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Holocaust comparison after 5 days and a wave of outrage
- Forbes: Pelosi Says Top Democrats Not Backing Effort To Remove Marjorie Taylor Greene From Congress
- WaPo Opinion: There are no Marjorie Taylor Greenes in the Democratic Party
- NBC: Matt Gaetz equates sex trafficking investigation with earmarks in Ohio speech
- WaPo: Marjorie Taylor Greene’s years-long campaign to disparage and attack Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Business Insider: Marjorie Taylor Greene faces a ‘bloodbath’ of a reelection race in 2022 — if she isn’t expelled from Congress first, district organizers say
- WRCBTV: UPDATE: Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Democratic challenger shares reason behind running
- Vox: Democrats want to make Marjorie Taylor Greene the face of the GOP
- WaPo Opinion: Republicans assemble circular firing squad
- ABC: ‘Squad’ members, who drew relentless attacks from Trump, coast to victory in 2020 election
- FiveThirtyEight: QAnon Isn’t Going To Take Over Congress In 2020. But It’s Found A Home In The GOP.
DEMOCRACY IN DANGER
- WaPo: Opinion: American democracy is in even worse shape than you think
- The Week: The Republican plot to steal the 2024 election
- The Nation: The Party of White Grievance Has Never Cared About Democracy
- NYT: The Banality of Democratic Collapse
- MSNBC: Trump’s stranglehold on the GOP is a death trap for American democracy
- The Atlantic: If Democracy Is Dying, Why Are Democrats So Complacent?
- The Week: Does either party actually believe democracy is dying?
- Lawfare: The Danger of the Moment
- NYT: Florida and Texas Join the March as Republicans Press Voting Limits
- Politico: They tried to overturn the 2020 election. Now they want to run the next one.
- CNN: Trump allies seek to import Arizona’s election audit to Georgia
- WaPo: I watched the GOP’s Arizona election audit. It was worse than you think.
- The Week: The GOP’s blatant disregard for democracy
- Detroit News: GOP moves to dilute power of governor, AG, secretary of state
- Politico: Trump is starting to put together his own Contract with America. And he’s teaming up with Newt.
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the podcast.