In This Episode
It’s Election Day, with big implications for abortion, democracy, and much more in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Mississippi. It’s also one year out from the 2024 presidential election, and a new set of battleground polls in the New York Times shows Donald Trump ahead of Joe Biden just about everywhere. Meanwhile, Trump takes the stand in his civil fraud case while his advisors draw up plans to use the military against protesters if he wins the election. Then, Barack Obama sits down with Jon, Tommy, Dan and Alyssa Mastromonaco for an expansive conversation on democracy, violence in the middle east, and his memories of winning the presidency fifteen years ago.
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here. For a transcript of this episode, please email email@example.com and include the name of the podcast.
- CBS: What to know about Issue 1 in Ohio, the abortion access ballot measure, ahead of Election Day 2023
- WashingtonPost: Will Ohio voters back abortion rights? Other red and swing states have.
- Politico: Ohio voters weigh weed legalization
- CNN: Virginia elections offer the most important test for both parties heading into 2024
- AP: AP Election Brief | What to expect in Kentucky’s general election
- PBS: What to expect in Mississippi’s 2023 general election
- APNEWS: Mississippi has a history of voter suppression. Many see signs of change as Black voters reengage
NEW YORK TIMES/SIENA POLL
- NYT: Trump Leads in 5 Critical States as Voters Blast Biden, Times/Siena Poll Find
- NYT: Times/Siena Poll Takeaways and analysis from our survey of battleground states.
- NYT: Trump Now Leads Biden
- NYT: Why Biden Is Behind, and How He Could Come Back
- NYT: How and why we did this swing-state poll
- The Daily: Swing State Voters Are Souring on Biden
- NYT: Voters Aren’t Believing in Bidenomics
- NYT: Trump Indictments Haven’t Sunk His Campaign, but a Conviction Might
- NYT: As Black Voters Drift to Trump, Biden’s Allies Say They Have Work to Do
- Axios: Behind the Curtain: Biden’s race problem
- NBC: Poll shows Biden support slumping among Michigan Muslims
- NYT: Democrats Express Deep Anxiety as Polls Show Biden Trailing Trump
- Message Box: How to Respond to the Very Bad NYT Poll
- NYT: The Biden campaign was hardly shocked by the Times/Siena polling
- NYT: What Can Biden Do?
- NYT: Trump May Not Need a Coup This Time
- CNN: Opinion: Why Democrats shouldn’t despair over concerning new polls about Biden
- NYT: The Times/Siena Poll Isn’t the Only One Indicating an Unhappy Electorate
- NYT: Could a Prominent Democrat Really Challenge Biden? It’s Unlikely, at This Point.
TRUMP CIVIL TRIAL
- NYT: Trump’s lawyers in the case have different approaches to representing the former president.
- NYT Live: Trump Civil Fraud Trial
- NYT: Trump faces a test as he takes the witness stand. Here’s the latest.
- CNN Live: Trump: “Everybody” within Trump Organization is responsible for identifying internal fraud
- CNN Live: Trump leans on the disclaimers in his financial statements as defense in fraud trial
- CNN Live: Trump goes after New York attorney general and judge in rant
- CNN: What to watch when Donald Trump takes the stand in New York civil fraud trial
- NBC: A combative Donald Trump testifies in $250 million civil fraud trial
- CBS: Trump clashes with judge during testimony at New York fraud trial today
- WashingtonPost: Trump and allies plot revenge, Justice Department control in a second term