In This Episode
An awful August gives way to a shitshow of a September in Washington, NYU Law Professor Melissa Murray is back to talk about what’s next in the legal battle for reproductive rights, and with just a few days left until the California recall, the stakes are enormous in the race between Governor Gavin Newsom and right-wing radio host Larry Elder.
Donate to Texas abortion funds: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/txfunds
- CNN: Divisions spill into full view as negotiations over Democrats’ $3.5 trillion plan heat up
- Politico: Schumer rejects Manchin’s ‘strategic pause’ on $3.5T megabill
- The Hill: When it comes to reconciliation, let’s learn from our past mistakes
- Axios: Scoop: Manchin backs as little as $1 trillion of Biden’s $3.5 trillion plan
- CNN op-ed: The real answer to Joe Manchin’s question
- WaPo op-ed: Joe Manchin would be foolish to indefinitely hold up the reconciliation bill
- Slate: What Is Joe Manchin Doing Now?
- WSJ: Why I Won’t Support Spending Another $3.5 Trillion
- Punchbowl: The 5 things we learned this week
- Playbook: Pelosi’s debt ceiling warning to McConnell
- CNN: ‘Financial Armageddon.’ What’s at stake if the debt limit isn’t raised
- NBC: Debt limit showdown in Congress looms ahead of October deadline
- CNN: Biden administration asks for billions in ‘urgent’ disaster and refugee funding in request to keep government running
- Five Thirty-Eight: How Popular Is Joe Biden?
- POLITICO: ‘There’s no good news’: Biden’s rough summer puts Dems on high alert
- THE HILL: Biden’s muscle questioned amid falling polls
- THE HILL: Biden approval ratings drop in seven key congressional districts: GOP-aligned poll
TEXAS ABORTION CASE W/ MELISSA MURRAY
- Vox: Democrats have a high-risk, high-reward plan to save Roe v. Wade
- KXAN: Gov. Abbott: Abortion bill won’t force rape victims to have babies, Texas will ‘eliminate’ rapists
- Daily Beast: Texas Abortion Snitching Site Pulled Offline for Second Time
- Slate: The Texans Fighting to Keep Abortion Accessible
- CNN: Why Texas’s strict abortion law is terrible for the economy
- SCOTUSBlog: Abortion, the death penalty, and the shadow docket
- Slate: At Least Seven GOP-Controlled States Look to Mimic Texas Anti-Abortion Law
- Fox News: Tucker Carlson: Texas abortion law demonstrates democracy still exists
- Intelligencer: Texas Is Already Creating Abortion Refugees
- Slate: The Supreme Court Overturned Roe v. Wade in the Most Cowardly Manner Imaginable
- Slate: Of Course This Supreme Court Ended Roe v. Wade by Doing Nothing
- The Atlantic: What Texas Abortion Foes Want Next
- The 19th: Texas’ six-week abortion ban could create abortion vigilantes
- Data for Progress: AMID TEXAS ABORTION BAN, VOTERS STRONGLY SUPPORT REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS
- WaPo op-ed: To stop abortion opponents, the only solution is mass mobilization
- The Hill: Whitmer calls on Michigan legislature to repeal law against abortion
- Vox: On the Texas abortion law, corporate America stays quiet
- Politico: Abortion fight adds to Biden’s growing policy backlog
- WaPo: Justice Department to protect women seeking an abortion in Texas
- CNN: Klobuchar calls for eliminating Senate filibuster to protect abortion rights
- Lyft: Defending drivers and women’s access to healthcare
- Slate: What are Democrats going to do about the court? How about nothing? Does nothing work for you?
- Axios: Pelosi: House will vote to codify Roe v. Wade to counter Texas abortion ban
- AP: Texas GOP bets on hard right turn amid changing demographics
- WaPo: Republican wins on abortion, voting and guns cap their banner 2021, with Democratic goals in ‘dire’ danger despite Washington power
- CNN op-ed: The GOP’s Texas-sized mistake on abortion
- WaPo: Abortion, voting rights, guns and covid: Texas Republicans go all in
- Slate: The Sinister Origins of the Texas Abortion Law, and Why Democrats Are So Unprepared to Do Anything About It
- The Atlantic: Is This How Democrats Break Their Midterm Curse?
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email email@example.com and include the name of the podcast.