In This Episode
Tuesday’s primaries point to the importance of Democratic turnout in November, Trump escalates his trade war, and Paul Ryan is briefly reunited with his spine. Then former White House senior advisor Ron Klain joins Jon and Dan to talk about Mitch McConnell’s success in packing the courts with Trumpy judges.
The LA County clusterfuck
- Los Angeles Times: L.A. County officials demand answers after more than 118,000 people were left off voter rosters
The Primary results
- Washington Post: Democrats strengthen hand in seeking control of House, even if odds of a blue wave are diminishing
- CNN: 6 takeaways from the biggest primary night of 2018
- Vox: 3 winners and 2 losers from California’s 2018 primaries
- Washington Post: Winners and losers from the biggest primary night of the year
No Democrats got locked out in CA
- New York Times: Democrats Find Relief in California House Race Results
- Washington Post: Democrats poised to claim ballot slots in nearly all House districts in California
GOP makes the ballot in the CA governor’s race
- New York Times: In Fight for California Governor, Candidates Head to Ideological Corners
- Los Angeles Times: California primary results portend a general election with national themes
- Washington Post: Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Calif. urges Trump to campaign for GOP opponent ‘as much as possible’
- San Francisco Chronicle: Gavin Newsom’s CA opponent is John Cox, but he’s running against Trump
- AP: Fellow Democrat squeaks through primary to take on Feinstein
- The New Yorker: Dianne Feinstein and the Revived Future of the Democratic Party’s Past
- FiveThirtyEight: Why California hasn’t moved on from Dianne Feinstein
- Washington Post: What Challenge? Feinstein romps ahead in California primary with turns to the left.
The Missouri Leg seat
- CNN: Democrats flip 42nd state legislative seat since Trump took office
- Kansas City Star: Democrat Arthur wins Missouri election in Northland days after Greitens resigns
Is this a female wave?
Was this lockout fear overhyped?
- CNN: ‘Top-two’ fears appear overblown and women dominate in Tuesday’s primary elections
- FiveThirtyEight: Sometimes The Parties Do Decide, After All
- CNN: Trump invokes War of 1812 in testy call with Trudeau over tariffs
- Washington Post: Trump has officially put more tariffs on U.S. allies than on China
- New York Times: Putin Sees an Opening in Europe’s Fury With Trump
Corker and GOP comments
- Tennessean: President Trump asks Sen. Bob Corker to abandon legislation challenging tariffs; senator still introduces bill
What’s driving the GOP consternation?
- CNBC: Trump has cost the stock market an estimated $1 trillion in value with tough trade talk
- CNBC: Trump’s tariffs on US allies will shrink the savings Americans gained from tax cuts
- Bloomberg: Trump’s Trade War Sets Up a Battlefield Rout
- Wall Street Journal: Trump’s Trade Policies Threaten Millions of Jobs, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Says
- Rolling Stone: The 4 biggest consequences of Trump’s disastrous tariff plan – 1. Stuff will cost more
- Washington Post: Opinion: The Trump administration is making our next recession worse
Will they do anything?
- Washington Post: Corker unveils bill to check Trump’s tariff authority, rebuffing a personal request from the president
- Politico: Republicans wage trade war with Trump
- Axios: Corker bill would give Congress power to rein in Trump’s trade war
Can Democrats take advantage – and if so, how?
- Politico: Poll: Few voters think tariffs will help U.S. economy
- CNN: Trump’s trade moves create midterm headache for Republicans
- Reuters: Republicans in tight U.S. House races feel heat from Mexican tariffs
- Washington Post: Trump’s tariffs give Democrats a big opportunity
- Vox: Trump hit Mexico with steel tariffs. Mexico is hitting back — and targeting Republicans
- New York Times: Mexico, Hitting Back, Imposes Tariffs on $3 Billion Worth of U.S. Goods
Random Russia tidbits
- CNN: Top Republicans break with Trump, say FBI acted appropriately
- New York Times: Paul Ryan Dismisses Trump ‘Spy’ Charge as G.O.P. Shows Signs of Resistance
- Washington Post: Giuliani: Mueller’s team is ‘trying very, very hard to frame’ Trump
- Wall Street Journal: Kim Jong Un Begged for Summit ‘on His Hands and Knees,’ Giuliani Says