In This Episode
Donald Trump says he’ll be reinstated as President this August as his former National Security Advisor calls for a military coup, Republicans continued their coordinated assault on voting rights, and Democrats win big in a New Mexico special election. Then, Stacey Abrams talks to Jon Favreau about the fight for democracy, her latest book, and more.
CAN IT HAPPEN HERE
- CNN: Listen to former Trump attorney’s comment on Myanmar-style coup
- WaPo: Michael Flynn’s ridiculous defense of his coup comments, in context
- Rolling Stone: Trumpers Are Moving From Coup Curious to Full-on Coup Horny
- WaPo: At Texas event with QAnon ties, Louie Gohmert downplays Jan. 6: ‘It wasn’t just right-wing extremists’
- CNN: Former WH ethics lawyer: Flynn should be court-martialed
- Slate: How the Military Should Deal With Its Michael Flynn Problem
- The New Republic: Trump’s Republicans Want a Coup
- The Week: Michael Flynn cranks the right’s rhetorical ratchet
- USA Today: Michael Flynn’s coup talk makes him the poster boy for an addiction to rage
- NYT: QAnon Now as Popular in U.S. as Some Major Religions, Poll Suggests
- Quinnipiac: 85% Of Republicans Want Candidates To Agree With Trump, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Americans Support Early Cut To Federal Jobless Benefit
- Vox: Michael Flynn’s coup comments show how QAnon is evolving in the Biden era
- WaPo: Opinion: Republicans are fighting against democracy — and the future
- WaPo Editorial: In Texas, Arizona and Washington D.C., the GOP advances its election lie
- WaPo: Observers of Arizona’s GOP-led election audit document security breaches, prohibited items on counting floor
- NYT: Katie Hobbs, Arizona Secretary of State, Announces Bid for Governor
- FiveThirtyEight: What’s Happening In Arizona Is Not Really An Audit Or A Recount. It’s A Partisan Inquisition.
- Slate: What if the Unorthodox Arizona Audit Declares Trump Won?
- ABC: Texas House advances restrictive voting bill after late-night vote
- NBC: Texas Gov. Abbott says he’ll target legislator pay after Democrats block strict voting bill
- MSNBC: Texas State Rep. explains why Dems walked out to block GOP voting restrictions
- Salon: Texas Democrats stand up for democracy and send a loud message to Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema
- Truthout: Republicans Are Vocally Opposed to Democracy, From Texas to Myanmar
- Mother Jones: Jim Crow Killed Voting Rights for Generations. Now the GOP Is Repeating History.
- HuffPost: Biden Calls Out 2 Democratic Lawmakers For Blocking Agenda
- WaPo: Opinion: A frantic warning from 100 leading experts: Our democracy is in grave danger
- NYT: Biden Assigns Harris Another Difficult Role: Protecting Voting Rights
- NYT: As Biden Vows to ‘Fight Like Heck,’ Voting Overhaul Falters in Congress
- CBS News: Senate to take up sweeping voting rights bill in June
- Intelligencer: Democrat Wins Big in New Mexico Special Congressional Election
- CNN: Democrat Melanie Stansbury wins New Mexico special election for US House seat, CNN projects
- FiveThirtyEight: Updated: What The New Mexico 1st Special Election Can — And Can’t — Tell Us About 2022
- NYT: Why a New Mexico House Race Is a Crucial Test of the G.O.P. Focus on Crime
- Politico: Dems notch easy win in New Mexico special election
- NYT: Melanie Stansbury, a Democrat, Cruises in New Mexico House Race
- Axios: Democrat Melanie Stansbury wins House seat to replace Deb Haaland
- KOB4: Early voting for CD-1 special election shows sizable lead for Democrats
- Politico: Election Results
- Slate: Is a Democratic Landslide in New Mexico’s Congressional Special Election a Sign?
- WaPo: House Democrats’ 2020 election autopsy: Bad polling hurt and GOP attacks worked
- Fox News: Surge in crime, defund the police push are top issues in House special election
- NYT: Who Financed the Georgia Sixth, the Most Expensive House Election Ever (6/20/17)
- FiveThirtyEight: 5 Takeaways From The Georgia 6 Special Election (5/19/17)
- The Atlantic: The Democrats’ New Trump Problem
- Rolling Stone: The Democrats Have Power. How Can They Keep It?
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of the podcast.