In This Episode
Derek Chauvin is found guilty of murdering George Floyd, Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA) joins to talk about renewed hope that Congress might pass police reform, and Democrats re-introduce the Green New Deal as Joe Biden pledges to cut carbon emissions in half ahead of a global climate summit.
- AP: Chauvin guilty of murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death
- Politico: Chauvin is guilty. Now comes the hard road ahead.
- The Atlantic: Chauvin’s Conviction Is the Exception That Proves the Rule
- NYT: Biden and Harris on the Chauvin Trial Verdict
- NYT: President Biden calls George Floyd’s family and says evidence for a guilty verdict is ‘overwhelming.’
- NYT: The Death of George Floyd Reignited a Movement. What Happens Now?
- Politico: 21 Experts on What the Verdict Means — and Where to Go From Here
- The New Yorker: The Significance of the Derek Chauvin Verdict
- National Review: Editorial: The Message of the Chauvin Verdict
- NYT: House Democrats squelch a G.O.P effort to censure Maxine Waters for saying protestors should get more confrontational
- NYT: G.O.P. Bills Target Protesters (and Absolve Motorists Who Hit Them)
- NYT: Derek Chauvin faces three charges. Here’s how his sentencing could unfold.
- CNN: Derek Chauvin is in a prison’s segregated housing unit for his safety while he awaits sentencing
- StarTribune: Justice Department to probe whether Minneapolis police have ‘pattern and practice’ of misconduct
- The Columbus Dispatch: Ma’Khia Bryant: Columbus police release body camera footage in shooting of 16-year-old
- POLITICO Playbook PM: Chauvin aftermath: Progress on police reform talks
- Politico: Chauvin conviction squeezes Congress on police reform
- Earth Day: THE HISTORY OF EARTH DAY
- Politico: Biden’s climate all-stars: ‘The ambition is breathtaking’ – but so are the expectations
- NYT: Biden Is Pushing a Climate Agenda. Gina McCarthy Has to Make It Stick.
- NPR: U.S. Officially Rejoins Paris Agreement On Climate Change
- Vox: Biden wants to convince the world America can be trusted on climate change
- Reuters: Xi to attend Biden’s climate change summit in first meeting of two leaders
- NYT: Amid Biden Climate Push, a Question Looms: Is America’s Word Good?
- WaPo: Biden will hold a big climate summit this week to reestablish U.S. leadership. Not everyone may follow.
- Politico: 9 things to watch ahead of Joe Biden’s climate-palooza
- NYT: Biden Will Pledge to Cut Greenhouse Gas Emissions Nearly in Half
- WaPo: Biden plans to cut emissions at least in half by 2030
- Politico: Biden prepares sweeping order on climate-related risks
- NYT: Biden, Emphasizing Job Creation, Signs Sweeping Climate Actions
- The White House: FACT SHEET: President Biden Takes Executive Actions to Tackle the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad, Create Jobs, and Restore Scientific Integrity Across Federal Government
- The New Yorker: Biden’s Jobs Plan Is Also a Climate Plan. Will It Make a Difference?
- World Resources Institute: Does Biden’s American Jobs Plan Stack Up on Climate and Jobs?
- NYT: What’s in Biden’s Infrastructure Plan?
- White House: FACT SHEET: The American Jobs Plan
- Politico: Progressives formally reintroduce the Green New Deal
- Al Jazeera: AOC, Democrats relaunch ‘Green New Deal’ before climate summit
- CBS News: Markey and Ocasio-Cortez reintroduce Green New Deal
- NYT: Progressives Propose Tripling Housing Commitment in Infrastructure Plan
- The New Republic: The Big Difference Between a Green New Deal and Biden’s Climate Agenda
- Yahoo News: Democrats push forward ‘Civilian Climate Corps’ with support from Biden and AOC
- Mother Jones: Here’s What a Civilian Climate Corps Might Look Like
- Data for Progress: Memo: U.S. Voters Strongly Support Bold Climate Solutions
- EcoWatch (via The Guardian): Guardian/Vice Poll Finds Most 2020 Voters Strongly Favor Climate Action
- The Atlantic: Voters Really Care About Climate Change
- WaPo: Americans like Green New Deal’s goals, but they reject paying trillions to reach them
- Vox: Poll: the Green New Deal is popular in swing House districts
- Grist: Poll: The Green New Deal is as popular as legalizing weed
- Yale Program on Climate Change Communication: Yale Climate Opinion Maps 2020
- WaPo Analysis: When do voters support Black Lives Matter or the Green New Deal?
- Vox: Fox News has united the right against the Green New Deal. The left remains divided.
- Politico: Lawmakers ready new ag climate bill with major GOP backing
- MSNBC: Why the House Republicans’ plan to fight climate change matters
- Center for American Progress: Climate Deniers in the 117th Congress
- Pew Research: How Americans see climate change and the environment in 7 charts
- Grist: Poll: The partisan gap on climate change is widening
- Gallup: Environment
- WaPo: How politics is shaping Biden’s infrastructure proposal
For a closed-captioned version of this episode, click here.
For a transcript of this episode, please email email@example.com and include the name of the podcast.